anonymous

No Manners in Helping Mills?

Question

Erm so I have been seeing some players that request high XP mills like theme parks and 48hr shops without saying thanks. It's even worse when you let them help for the first time and they dont bother to say thanks for the second time they help your mills. I usually just block them after 3 reminders. To those low level players that said thanks, I usually be friends with them & help their mills whenevr possible. I anticipate that most of you will tell me to let it go because it's just a game, after all. But at least please have a bit of manners. We are sharing some XPs with you to level up faster. Well, perhaps it's just me but I would like to ask the higher level players. Would you accept requests from players that have no manners?

Ps: Btw there's too many players quitting the game :'(

• Upvote 1

8 answers to this question

There are sadly a lot of that kind of players.. I think maybe a few also don't say thanks because they hope it's a bit harder to figure out if they come with 3+ sub accounts within a few minutes, since some players seem to think they can rule your towns highest mills.

But even if there are some players like that (and I usually block them after a while so other people have a chance to get good mills) there are also a lot of nice players with manners. And of course good and wonderful friends.^^

I also know some players who sadly quit because they where annoyed of some rude players or pw hackers. Some also just had not enough time, since ET is very time consuming.

Some did also return after a break. I think ET is that kind of game where it's a lot more fun playing if sharing with good friends and nice neighbours. For me it works, since those players without manners can't drop my mood.^^

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Kyoushirou said:

There are sadly a lot of that kind of players.. I think maybe a few also don't say thanks because they hope it's a bit harder to figure out if they come with 3+ sub accounts within a few minutes, since some players seem to think they can rule your towns highest mills.

But even if there are some players like that (and I usually block them after a while so other people have a chance to get good mills) there are also a lot of nice players with manners. And of course good and wonderful friends.^^

I also know some players who sadly quit because they where annoyed of some rude players or pw hackers. Some also just had not enough time, since ET is very time consuming.

Some did also return after a break. I think ET is that kind of game where it's a lot more fun playing if sharing with good friends and nice neighbours. For me it works, since those players without manners can't drop my mood.^^

Yes, I have some mutuals that come with their subs to help the high level mills. So it's like a single player getting four 48hr mills in 2 days, instead of maximum 2 :( Other players would want to help the mills too. I agree with you, there are very nice people in ET too. honeybee is one of them, although sadly she quit. 2 of my mutuals recently quit too because they are too busy to play the game. I had an experienced with pw hackers. One of them hacked the mill that I locked for my mutual for trading. Well, I guess the most that we can do is just to block them.9_9

• Upvote 1

I feel like the odd one out. I don't care, nor do I have time to go through the messages and see who said thank you. I understand what is being said, but consider this. The shop owners benefit more than the helpers. We receive multiple product, while they only receive the one. I posted a notice in my mail box thanking others for their help because helps per day are limited and they took the time to visit me. In the case of alternate accounts, who could possibly know that? I would rather use my extra time redecorating my towns than investigating new visitors. It is just a game. I don't look to see who helped what, I just accept all help. For the loyal visitors, I have randomly staggered the restart times for other time zones. I save items for my most social and long time friends, and some for newer players to help them level up, before they give up. I enjoy playing, but it was really hard most of the way with single mills and so many players posting rules. Perhaps instead of expecting praise for letting them help, return the favor and help their mills that take sooooo long to produce one product and thank them by giving a bonus from your help. I never really understood the thank you process in the game, as I have always thanked others for helping me in "real life". This is just my state of mind......

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've started playing Everytown about 3 months ago and I must say it took me a while before I discovered the 'help ethics' existing in this community. As much as I love the idea of self-organization and creating a friendly environment for everyone, I was surprised to know that some players on here expect others to leave a 'thank you' note every single time they help, and will go as far as to delete or block them if they don't! I mean, first of all, the help system in this game is clearly based on mutual benefit, so how come the helping person is the only one who's supposed to express gratitude? Secondly, there might be people who are just too shy to interact, or simply don't speak your language, or newbies like me who don't feel part of the community yet and mostly concentrate on understanding the gameplay and doing quests in their first weeks. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting player interaction but I think you shouldn't spoil other people's game experience by refusing their help and blocking them only because they want to enjoy their games without having to socialize. Well, that's just my opinion : )

Edited by himacchii
  • Upvote 4

@himacchii I totally agree with you!

I'm playing for over a year now and mostly followed this ethics all the time. But in the meantime I'm sick of all this thank you writing. A few month ago I stopped writing thank you all the time and I also don't want my wall being spammed with thank you messages.

This not only saves much time & stress, it prevents me from missing important messages on my wall, which were thanked away before. And as you said, it really is stupid. Why do I have to thank somebody for helping, escpecially at a time, when the person in question may still reject my request, so I would have to thank when I get what I requested, but thats not really possible and even more stupid at a time the person doesnt even know what I am thanking for. And as you said too, it benefits for both sides equally. So I think no thank you is neccessary anyway. ;)

And about "manners", which named this whole topic. I don't think it is very polite to spam anyones wall with thank you, thank you, thank you, which is copied and pasted anyway, because those people doing that don't even want to spent time & effort to write everybody a unique message. I dont need this autoresponderlike kind of messages. Then better say nothing than that. The worst case were some people, having several sub accounts and thanking me with every single one of them. That really are manners, but bad manners, especially after telling them not to do that, but they do it anyway...

I'm so happy to have my friends which know, that I am of course thankful for their help in my town and the requests I can do in theirs. :x

I think the best would be a like or thank you button, when you visit a town, so you can just click it and then the town owner sees in a list who thanked or not without spamming. ^_^

• Upvote 3

@himacchii @Sp00by Mm I do agree, especially when someone helps with a quest mill or “just” a premium mill I almost feel like I should go write a thank you to them rather than other way around ^_^

But I understand and also feel the will to reject people who don’t thank when it’s about union shops or theme parks because, well, to get union shops you usually buy the membership so it just kind of feels rude when I have the shops I’ve spent money on up in my town without  apassword and don’t expect anything back from the people helping and people don’t thank/hog them/use a main +sub(s) to get them :S But I still rarely reject and I don’t even expect thank you’s anymore from people I know

And I totally understand people being shy or not knowing the “ethics” in the game! We’ve all once been the newbies learning the game and I was really shy when I started! I didn’t even answer to people trying to have conversations with me but once I started to lose mutuals over it I realised how rude I must’ve seemed like. O.o I slowly started getting more social and answering people as well as thanking after that. It’s something that makes me glad I started Everytown, ET has really helped me with my shyness and self esteem! 

But to stop the blabbering and answer the thread’s original question, yes I do accept the requests from people who don’t thank, at least most of the time. Some exceptions are if it’s a person who hacked a password or a sub of a player who never talks to me nor thanks. Or simply if I get frustrated from a person not answering to my attempts to talk to them nor thank when I can see they understand English/another language I speak. I sound so bitter but I swear I’m a nice person! :D

• Upvote 2

WOW!! Thank Y❥u Thank Y♡U THANK Y☆U  for bringing up this subject.. Let me say first of all that I am a fairly new player and I have to say that this game is the hardest one I have EVER played as far as all the different aspects of the game and most certainly because of all of the politics involved!! There are no clear guidelines ANYWHERE to help new players... Hell- there isn't even anything remotely useful on YouTube and as grateful as I am for this feed there is not any sort of real organization to it... and more importantly it's quite overwhelming for me still at level 41  -NEVERMIND when I was new and trying to figure out how to play! There is useful information in here there's no doubt - but finding it is a lot like fishing... You spend hours with your pole.in the water but it's rare to actually catch the fish!

Secondly- I have to say that I am SOOOO Blessed to have found 2 out of over 100 "FRIENDS" that were actually higher level players willing to help little ole me as I bumbled thru the game.  So THREE CHEERS FOR QTLADY1590 who took me under her wing at level 11 and I found JoeDee around level 20 & I am so happy to say she has become one of my closer ET Friends! They were both actually willing to help me even though they  were  many many levels ahead and I didn't have anything for either of them to gain except hearts at first. I MOST DEFINITELY APPRECIATE BOTH OF THEM VERY MUCH!! Especially JoeDee after she listened to me whine after dealing with a rude and VERY DEMANDING player. It really sucked to have to deal with that mess after an incident they must have felt was  spiteful but in actuality was the complete opposite!  If they had only waited a few minutes before they started barking  at me  (which then led to barking orders at me) then I would have had the time to actually send the message I was about to write to them to  explain why I made the choice  that I did. It's sad people just can't be thankful for what they've already received- regardless how much the givers give - it's never enough for the takers. Thankfully I haven't stumbled across too many of them in the game but unfortunately it does only take one bad apple to spoil the bunch! 

So...back to the point. Regarding the thanking thing - I try to be a little more creative and write more personal messages- but admit there are times when I copy and paste some part if not all of the message however I'd like to say that doesn't mean that I don't mean it just as much each time I leave it. 

What  Himacchaii is saying about it being a mutual relationship between visitor and owner is quite true however....from my experience after accepting all help (except the one) I have been refused help several times with no explanation. Considering I am a fairly new player I often wonder what I did to make.this person refuse my.help - so if you are a higher level.person - or for that matter any person refusing help at all maybe if you take the time to msg the person and tell.them why. you refused their help this way they will be less likely to do it again and you may actually  help this person learn how to play...(or at least be reminded they should mind their manners and not be greedy) 

This also brings up another subject for me.... I still have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what mills are  Union - 2000xp - crafting or whatever other kind there is that  people list in Notices or Profiles not to claim!! - I cannot find a list to use as a guide ANYWHERE!! Does anyone have one of these?? Do they even exist?? Cuz it would be SOOOO INCREDIBLY HELPFUL to know what to do so Im not the one ticking anyone off! I know  what some of the important ones are - only because they are always the mills locked in most everyone's towns but there's no way I can remember all of  them from memory....I still.have no clue what mills are above 2000xp  higher than level 41 and I hope I don't choose one by mistake because the only way for me to verify them is to actually leave the town and go back.to my town - then pull up my shop and try to find it (it might be easier if we cld sort A-Z) which is CRAZY and takes up so much time and half the time I forget who I was visiting in the first place!  So.its a mute point! Having this be the only tool I have to verify mills/shops is BONKERS!!. Thanks for listening and if.anyone knows where there is a listing of all.shops/mills I would LOVE ONE!!